tabs

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Challenge Accepted!

Here it is: The 35-Book Challenge. Well, I'd like to think that it's something that students are voluntarily choosing to do, but let's face it...I expect my students to accept. :)

With the Common Core State Standards challenging teachers to be more intentional and purposeful, our fifth grade team is trying to push students outside of their reading comfort zone. Many students, even adults, read what they are comfortable at reading. But let's face it, we should all be reading fiction and nonfiction and have strategies/tools to help us comprehend both types of texts!

So, with the help from Fountas & Pinnell (Genre Study: Teaching with Fiction and Nonfiction Books, 2012), I created the following documents to share with my students:

Students will have until the end of the year to accomplish the challenge, but I will be checking in with them to see how they are doing throughout the year. Parents, please help me by asking students how their book challenge is going! I hope that by doing this, students have a wider range of books to read from and eventually love!

I am also sharing a list of Mentor Texts that students can pull from if they are in need of some recommendations that are at 4th and 5th grade reading levels!

Challenge?!?! Challenge Accepted!

No comments:

Post a Comment